Florence Baptist Temple was organized on June 24th, 1973 with a charter membership of 33. The church had met for several months prior and there were enough Christians interested in starting a new Baptist church in Boone County. Grace Baptist Church of Middletown, Ohio, served as the “mother church” of Florence Baptist Temple. Dr. Howard Sears, then pastor of Grace Baptist Church, attended the services on a Sunday afternoon and led the organization service.
In late Fall of 1973, 14.5 acres of property located at 1898 Florence Pike, Burlington, were purchased. A barn and a house which stood on the property were eventually torn down and a small worship building was constructed. A house on the property served as the church office and Sunday School space.
In 1976 the present worship center was constructed. A facility to house and maintain our buses was built several years later, but was used first for Sunday School and not as bus facility.
In 1979 a duplex building containing a missionary apartment was constructed for church staff and guest missionaries. The building still stands and serves its original purpose.
In 1984 the Sunday School wing was built with more than 50% of the labor being donated by our very own membership. The savings were about half of the total cost of the building.
In 2000 the church constructed the largest addition to date: a Family Life Center which includes our church offices, Sunday School rooms, and a beautiful gym with a stage area fully equipped with lighting and sound. The Family Life Center serves multiple ministries throughout the year including: Sunday School, AWANA, Upward Basketball, and many other ministries.
Hundreds of people have come to a relationship with Christ, lives have been changed, and many have entered in to full time service to the Lord through the ministry of Florence Baptist Temple. The Lord is still blessing the ministry of Florence Baptist Temple today, just as he has done throughout the 40 plus years of our history. One preacher said it best, “The future is as bright as the promises of God”. We look forward to making history with you and your family as we serve the Lord together here at Florence Baptist Temple.
What are your service times?
- We have convenient service times for you to choose from. Small group classes, commonly called Sunday School, are at 9:45am. Our main worship service on Sunday morning begins at 11:00am. Sunday evenings we begin our evening praise service at 6:30pm. Wednesday evening our AWANA program starts at 7:00pm and adult Bible study and LIFE Student Ministry programs begin at 7:30pm
Where are you located?
- Our church is located just off of Highway 18 in Burlington. We are 1/8th of a mile west of the Boone County Library on Florence Pike. You can see our church directly across from the Kroger shopping center in Burlington. Our physical street address is 1898 Florence Pike, Burlington, KY 41005.
Where do I go when I get there?
- When you arrive at our church, you may proceed to any of the entrances and one of our welcome team members will point you in the right direction. If you are joining us for one of our worship services, you may enter at the main sanctuary which is conveniently located at the south east corner of the complex.
What kind of music does you church have?
- Our church has been blessed with an exciting, effective, Christ-honoring music program. We strive to do everything to the glory of God and our music program is no exception to this. It will not be uncommon for you to be in one of our services and hear a timeless hymn being sung while also praising the Lord with one of the passionate, newer songs of our day. We are confident that your heart will be lifted as you worship the Lord with us through song.
Do I need to put money in the offering plate?
- We don’t invite you to Florence Baptist Temple for your money. We want our service to be a gift to you. We hope you will find in this place a warm, family spirit, truth from God’s Word, and a place where you can grow in God’s grace. Please don’t feel any obligation to participate in the offering as a guest as this is a time for the members of our church to give back to the Lord.
Will you have something for my kids?
- Are you kidding? We have more than something for kids! Our KidZone program is an exciting program that takes place during our 2nd worship service. This is a high-energy, fun-filled program that is sure to appeal to your child. We have a staff of exceptional workers that will truly care for your children and will insure that they will enjoy their visit here as well. From games, songs, and age appropriate Bible lessons, we are sure that you child will give our KidZone program two thumbs up!
Can I get involved in your church?
- We welcome you! We need you! Serving plays a major role, not only in the health of the church, but in your life as well. You will find that one of the biggest blessings you can have in your life is being involved in service through the Lord’s church. We have many areas that you can be involved in and if you are interested in being involved, please contact us and we will be more than happy to help you.
How can I become a member?
- At the conclusion of every Worship Service there is a time of invitation where you may come forward and join Florence Baptist Temple. Membership at Florence Baptist Temple means partnering with other believers in making a difference in our community and around the world. Our desire is that you make a commitment to Jesus Christ and then to the local church. While we realize that we are not the church for everyone, we are really excited about what God is doing through us! For questions regarding church membership, you may contact one of our ministerial staff and they will be more than happy to help you in the process.